Get the goods on heart health!
Many people think of heart disease as a problem that happens to other or older folks. However, heart disease is one of several cardiovascular diseases, which are disorders of the heart and blood vessel system, including stroke, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and rheumatic heart disease. In the United States, heart disease is still the #1 killer of both women and men. It affects people of all ages, and can happen to those who think they "feel fine."
We want to help you understand the disease and be proactive for your health. Consider these facts:
- Each year, almost one in four American deaths are caused by heart disease, as reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- 64 percent of women and 50 percent of men die suddenly of heart disease and have no previous symptoms of the disease.
- Even children are affected, with 5 out of every 100 now having high blood pressure.
- Only 3 percent of U.S. adults practice all of the "Big Four" habits that help to prevent heart disease:
- Eating a healthy diet
- Getting regular physical activity
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Avoiding smoking
For information on how you can lower your heart disease risk and improve your own heart health, download this free "Healthy Heart Guide"
Get an Appointment with an Expert
To make an appointment with an SSM Health heart specialist to discuss your condition along with testing and treatment options: