Expectant moms will be thrilled to know that SSM DePaul Health Center’s labor and delivery unit offers a first-class facility with birthing suites that are among the largest in St. Louis.
Our Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is fully equipped for critical cases. DePaul Helath Center also maintains obstetrician and pediatrician coverage in-house, around the clock, with neonatology services available as needed. Women who have not had prenatal care have the benefit of a private group of DePaul Health Center “hospitalist” physicians who care for them through labor, delivery and postpartum.
Maternity services offered at DePaul Health Center include:Childbirth Options
- An anesthesiologist dedicated to obstetrics is on-site at all times.
- For non-medicated births, we offer techniques to make you as comfortable as possible through the birth. Doulas are welcome.
- Dedicated surgical suites on the same floor if a Cesarean section (C-section) is necessary.
- For mothers with a previous C-section, we can perform Vaginal Births After Cesarean section (VBACs) if you and your doctor determine it is appropriate and safe.
Advanced Testing & Care
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialists from Saint Louis University are available to care for mothers with high-risk pregnancies.
- Level II Newborn Nursery supported by neonatologists from SSM Cardinal Glennon Children’s Medical Center.
- Pediatricians from SSM Cardinal Glennon are available 24/7 to assist your obstetrician.
Preparing for Childbirth
- Continuous fetal monitoring
- Regular and advanced Level II ultrasound
- External cephalic version (a procedure to try and turn the baby if it’s in breech or ‘feet first’ position)
- Diabetes education in pregnancy
- Genetic Counseling
- “Fast track” (4-week) Lamaze Childbirth preparation classes
- Our lactation consultant can discuss breastfeeding with you and answer questions. She will also visit you in the hospital after you’ve had your baby to assist you.