How the Network Operates: A Step-by-Step Guide
- A patient presenting with stroke symptoms arrives at a MidAmerica Stroke Network member hospital for treatment.
- The member hospital’s emergency team performs a complete neurological assessment of the patient and administers the appropriate treatment.
- The attending physician then determines that the patient requires further neurocritical care and calls the MidAmerica Stroke Network hotline to page the SLUCare neuro-specialist on-call for additional medical support.
- After receiving the page, the SLUCare neuro-specialist consults with the member hospital’s attending physician.
- Then, the SLUCare neuro-specialist assesses the patient’s condition and vital signs in order to determine the appropriate treatment to help stabilize the patient.
- If the collaborative medical team determines that the stroke patient’s condition cannot be effectively stabilized on-site at the member hospital, a rapid transport to SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital is arranged immediately.
- The stroke patient promptly receives the necessary medical treatment upon arrival at Saint Louis University Hospital.
- Saint Louis University Hospital then discharges the stabilized stroke patient back into the care of the member hospital for continued treatment and follow-up care.
Contact us for more information at 866-676-4326