main find specialist 

Find a Specialist| SSM Maternity Care 

SSM Maternity Care features a complete array of physician specialists to assist you before, during and after the childbirth process.

Search for an OB or physician specialist.

Take a closer at these physicians and their job descriptions below.

Obstetrician (OB)

A physician who has completed specialized education and training in the management of pregnancy, labor and pueperium (the time-period directly following childbirth). An OB provides medical and surgical care to women, preventive and prenatal care, and has expertise in the reproductive system.

The easiest way to connect with the right obstetrician for you is to call toll-free 866-SSM-DOCS (866-776-3627), or find an obstetrician online.


A physician who has a successfully completed specialized education and training in the health of the female reproductive system, including the diagnosis and treatment of disorders and diseases.

Family Practitioner

Family practitioners provide primary care for adults and children. Some family practitioners also care for expectant mothers and deliver newborns.

Maternal- Fetal Medicine (MFM) Specialists/Perinatologist

An MFM is a subspecialty of obstetrics and gynecology that focuses on the management of high-risk pregnancies. An MFM specialist has received two to three years of additional education and training to gain special competence in various obstetrical, medical, and surgical complications of pregnancy.


A pediatric subspecialist who provides the medical care of newborn infants, especially the ill or premature newborn infant.  It is a hospital-based specialty, and is usually practiced in neonatal intensive care units (NICUs).


A pediatrician is a doctor who specializes in the care of children. It can include primary care as well as specialty care. A woman who is pregnant should establish a relationship with a pediatrician to begin caring for her newborn immediately after birth. Find a Cardinal Glennon-affiliated pediatrician.

Infertility specialist

A physician who works with patients who have unsuccessfully tried to conceive. These physicians, sometimes called reproductive endocrinologists, will work with the family to determine why conception has not yet been successful and treat underlying causes that may include blocked fallopian tubes, polycystic ovarian syndrome or endometriosis.


An obstetrician/gynecologist who has received training and specializes in treating women with pelvic floor dysfunction that may cause problems with incontinence.