300 First Capitol Drive, St. Charles, MO 63301
Get directions | Take the virtual tour
Expectant moms will be thrilled to know that The Family Birthplace at St. Joseph Hospital - St. Charles offers a first-class facility and experience. We have been delivering babies since before the turn of the century, and our obstetricians and nurses have decades of experience and a high level of insight and understanding. This acute understanding of childbirth helps them most quickly detect and respond to even the smallest situations pertaining to you or your baby's safety and comfort. Our staff is ready to handle any situation.
Find an obstetrician, gynecologist, pediatrician or specialist »
We support many childbirth options. We always keep your wishes and plans in mind first and will always work with your personal and family goals should the situation remain safe to do so. The following are available at St. Joseph Hospital - St. Charles to help us achieve this goal:
- A house obstetrician and an anesthesia professional dedicated to meeting the needs of obstetric patients on-site 24/7
- For non-medicated births, we offer techniques to make you as comfortable as possible through the birth. Doulas are welcome!
- Dedicated surgical suites on the same floor if a Cesarean section (C-section) is necessary
- For mothers with a previous C-section, we can perform Vaginal Birth After Cesarean section (VBACs) if you and your doctor determine it is appropriate and safe.
- Advanced continuous fetal monitoring
- Regular and advanced Level II ultrasound
- External cephalic version (a procedure to try and turn the baby if it's in breech or "feet first" position)
- Pediatricians from SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital are available 24/7 to assist your obstetrician
For high-risk pregnancies/births
Nurses in the Family Birthplace work 12-hour shifts so you will most likely have the same two nurses while you’re here. Our “couplet” care makes it possible for you and your baby to receive care in one room from the same nurse.
After delivery, your baby is bathed at your bedside and will remain in your room for the duration of your stay. This allows important mother-baby bonding as you get to know each other.
The Family Birthplace offers suites with a spa-like atmosphere and scenic river views. In most cases, you will remain in the same comfortable suite during the labor, delivery, recovery, and postpartum (LDRP) phases of your stay. Each suite includes a sleeper sofa for dad or other special visitor, and many home-like comforts such as a flat-screen television, DVD player, shower and vanity. Other amenities include:
- A high-tech security system to ensure your baby’s safety
- A family nourishment area with complimentary coffee, tea, and slushies for visitors
- SKYPE capabilities for families with members in the military, with hearing impairments, or who are otherwise out of town. Now everyone may share in the joy of their newest family member’s arrival!
Our patient-family suites are carefully designed to promote safety and a faster recovery as well. An in-room computer securely stores medical records for real-time physician and care team updates.
Family and friends are always invited to visit, and there are no age restrictions for visiting children. However, only healthy children should visit newborns. Family is invited to relax in the “family zone” of your suite — even spend the night on a comfortable pull-out sofa. To protect the health and safety of Mother and Baby in our care, visitors may be limited if a medical condition arises.
For your family and friends that are out of town or otherwise unable to visit, they can catch a sneak peek of your little one through our secure WebNursery®.
New moms are treated to a comprehensive menu of selections from our At Your Request® room service. You may order meals or snacks anytime between 6:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. daily.
Childbirth education classes
To best prepare you and your family for the arrival a new baby, we recommend that you participate in at least some of the childbirth, parenting or infant care classes we offer. Support groups from breastfeeding to bereavement are also available. Some of our classes inclue:
- Diabetes eduction in pregnancy
- Genetic counseling
- Lamaze Childbirth preparation classes (traditional 4-week series)
- "Fast track" Lamaze Childbirth preparation class (meets for 8 hours on a Saturday)
- Our lactation consultant can discuss breast feeding with you and answer questions. She also will visit you in the hospital to assist you after you have had your baby
- See all classes at St. Joseph Hospital - St. Charles and sign up here
Guided tours of the Family Birthplace are available and are a great opportunity to learn more about what we offer as well as a great opportunity to ask any questions about the labor and delivery process.
To register for a tour, please call toll-free 866-SSM-DOCS (866-776-3627).