Maternity Care at St. Mary's Health Center
6420 Clayton Road, Richmond Heights, MO 63117
Get directions | Take the virtual tour
Delivering more than 3,000 babies per year, we have an experienced staff able to handle the most critical pregnancies and births. The Family Birthplace at St. Mary’s Health Center is the regional hub for maternal services and high-risk obstetrics and is fully equipped with a Level III Neonatal ICU, a Perinatal Center and a satellite location for the St. Louis Fetal Care Institute.
The Family Birthplace at St. Mary’s Health Center is also home to the Saint Louis University School of Medicine’s Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women’s Health residency program and supported by leading neonatalogists from SSM Cardinal Glennon.
Find an obstetrician, gynecologist, pediatrician or specialist
Safety and comfort are the most important things to consider when having a baby. SSM Maternity Care supports many childbirth options and will always keep your wishes and plans in mind first. We'll work with your personal and family goals so long as the situation remains safe to do so. The following are available at St. Mary's Health Center to help us achieve this goal:
- An anesthesiologist dedicated to obstetrics is on-site at all times
- For non-medicated births, we offer techniques to make you as comfortable as possible throughout the birth experience. Doulas are always welcome at St. Mary's Health Center!
- Dedicated surgical suites on the same floor if a Cesarean section (C-section) or ExIT procedure is necessary
- For mothers with a previous C-section, we can perform Vaginal Births After Cesarean section (VBACs) if you and your doctor determine it is appropriate and safe.
- Continuous fetal monitoring
- Regular and advanced Level II ultrasound
- External cephalic version (a procedure to try and turn the baby if it’s in breech or "feet first" position)
For high-risk pregnancies/births
The Family Birthplace at St. Mary’s Health Center offers a welcome alternative to traditional hospital delivery. In our fresh, comfortable setting, we provide personal, one-on-one attention for Mother and Baby which includes care and instruction from highly trained nurses.
We have spacious suites where you will be for labor, delivery and recovery. These suites can easily accommodate a recliner for a special visitor. They were also carefully designed to promote safety and to be able to accommodate all the high-tech equipment necessary to safely deliver your baby.
After your baby is born, you will continue care in a spa-like postpartum suite on our mother-baby unit. Each suite has a comfortable sleeper sofa for your spouse or loved one to spend the night as well as a flat screen TV, and private bathroom and shower.
St. Mary’s Health Center is home to the Maternal & Fetal Care Center and is the main center for SSM Maternity Care’s high-risk pregnancy services. Learn more about our high-risk services here.
Family and friends are always invited to visit, and there are no age restrictions for visiting siblings. However, only healthy children should visit newborns. Family is invited to relax in the “family zone” of your suite — even spend the night on a comfortable sleeper sofa.
For your family and friends that are out of town or otherwise unable to visit, they can catch a sneak peek of your little one through our secure WebNursery®.
We offer room service dining for our patients. You may order meals or snacks anytime between 6:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. daily.
Childbirth Education Classes
To best prepare you and your family for the arrival a new little happy, we recommend that you participate in at least some of the childbirth, parenting or infant care classes we offer. Support groups from breastfeeding to bereavement are also available.
- Diabetes education in pregnancy
- Genetic Counseling
- “Fast track” (4-week) Lamaze Childbirth preparation classes
- Our lactation consultant can discuss breastfeeding with you and answer questions. She will also visit you in the hospital after you’ve had your baby to assist you.
- Browse all casses offered at St. Mary's Health Center & sign up here
Guided tours of the Family Birthplace at St. Mary’s Health Center are available and are a great opportunity to learn more about what we offer as well as a great opportunity to ask any questions about the labor and delivery process.
To register for a tour, please call toll-free 866-SSM-DOCS (866-776-3627).