The Family Birthplace at SSM St. Mary’s offers expectant moms maternal services that are among the most comprehensive in the region. Delivering more than 3,000 babies annually, SSM St. Mary’s Family Birthplace has an experienced staff able to handle the most critical cases. SSM St. Mary’s specializes in high-risk obstetrics and is fully equipped with a Level III Neonatal ICU, a Perinatal Center and a satellite location for the St. Louis Fetal Care Institute.
The Family Birthplace includes several specialty areas, including a 17-bed antepartum unit and a Women’s Evaluation Unit, which is an emergency room dedicated to expectant mothers.
The Family Birthplace at St. Mary’s provides a full continuum of care to expectant mothers and is home to the Saint Louis University School of Medicine’s Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women’s Health residency program and supported by leading neonatalogists from SSM Cardinal Glennon.
Services offered at St. Mary’s include:
- An anesthesiologist dedicated to obstetrics is on-site at all times.
- For non-medicated births, we offer techniques to make you as comfortable as possible throughout the birth experience. Doulas are welcome.
- Dedicated surgical suites on the same floor if a Cesarean section (C-section) or EXIT procedure is necessary.
- For mothers with a previous C-section, we can perform Vaginal Births After Cesarean section (VBACs) if you and your doctor determine it is appropriate and safe.
Learn more about SSM St. Mary’s High-Risk Obstetrics capabilities.
Advanced Testing & Care
- Maternal & Fetal Care Center
Continuous fetal monitoring
- Regular and advanced Level II ultrasound
- External cephalic version (a procedure to try and turn the baby if it’s in breech or ‘feet first’ position)
Preparing for Childbirth
- Diabetes education in pregnancy
- Genetic Counseling
- “Fast track” (4-week) Lamaze Childbirth preparation classes
- Our lactation consultant can discuss breastfeeding with you and answer questions. She will also visit you in the hospital after you’ve had your baby to assist you.