Alexander Garza, MD
Chief Quality Officer
- Laura Kaiser, President & CEO
- Carter Dredge, Chief Transformation Officer
- Maggie Fowler, Chief Nursing Officer
- Matthew Hanley, MD, Chief Clinical Officer
- Paula Friedman, Chief Strategy Officer
- Alexander Garza, MD, Chief Quality Officer
- David Fields, President Dean Health Plan
- Carolyn Koenig, Chief Administrative Officer
- Philip Loftus, Chief Innovation Officer
- Douglas P. Long, JD, General Counsel
- Steve Smoot, FACHE, Chief Operations Officer
- Patrick McCruden Chief Mission Integration Officer
- Kris Zimmer, Chief Financial Officer
As Chief Quality Officer, Alexander Garza, MD, is responsible for quality, patient safety and clinical analytics, and for positioning SSM Health as a quality and patient safety leader nationally and internationally.
Dr. Garza most recently served as Chief Medical Officer for the St. Louis Region, where he oversaw medical staff affairs, patient safety/quality and clinical resource management across the region’s eight hospitals. Prior to joining SSM Health, he was an Associate Dean and Professor at the Saint Louis University College of Public Health and Social Justice. Previously, he served as Assistant Secretary and Chief Medical Officer to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, an appointment he received from President Barack Obama. He legislated health, medical and biodefense authority for the DHS and played a critical role in protecting the United States from threats of terrorism.
Dr. Garza received a bachelor’s degree in biology from the University of Missouri – Kansas City, a Master of Public Health from Saint Louis University, and a medical degree from the University of Missouri – Columbia. He completed his residency in emergency medicine at Truman Medical Center/University of Missouri at Kansas City. Dr. Garza is board certified in emergency medicine.