Quality & Outcomes: Pediatric Nephrology
The SLUCare Division of Pediatric Nephrology physicians are experts in the care of infants, children and adolescents with congenital and acquired kidney disease. We offer one of the most comprehensive programs for our patients, using:
- Acute and chronic hemodialysis
- Acute and chronic peritoneal dialysis
- Acute hemofiltration
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring
- Renal biopsy
- Rental transplantation
- SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital is one of 30 centers participating in the SCOPE Collaborative to reduce catheter-related infections in pediatric dialysis patients.
- Our transplant program is CMS certified and is a member of the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS).
- For the past 17 years, the nephrology team has taken a group of 10-15 children to Camp Okawehna outside of Nashville, Tennessee. This summer camp is unique, created for children and teens receiving dialysis, with kidney disease or who have received a transplant.
Pediatric Nephrology Services
For the ongoing treatment of children with hypertension, the Comprehensive Hypertension Program at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon offers a weekly clinic, regular follow-up and support for children in the ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) program.
Children requiring dialysis see a specialized team of pediatric dialysis doctors and nurses. Also part of the team are social workers, dietitians, a school teacher and child life specialist. Dialysis options include hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. The division offers a CMS-certified peritoneal dialysis training program.
Chronic Kidney Disease
SLUCare nephrologists at Saint Louis University School of Medicine participate in two multi-center studies funded by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), designed to better understand and treat various diseases. The CureGN Study is tracking children and adults with glomerular diseases such as focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS). The Chronic Kidney Disease in Children (CKiD) Study will follow children with chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease (ESRD).
The renal transplantation program at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon has excellent survival rates. The program is CMS-certified and is one of 16 kidney transplant clinics participating in the Improving Renal Outcomes Collaborative (IROC).