Quality & Outcomes: Pediatric Cardiology & Cardiothoracic Surgery
The SLUCare Division of Pediatric Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery team at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital is dedicated to providing the best treatment options for every child and supporting the well-being of our patients and their families. This has made us one of the top-ranked pediatric heart centers in the country.
Guide to Charts:
- ASD Repair – Atrial Septal Defect Repair
- VSD Repair – Ventricular Septal Defect Repair
- TOF Repair – Tetralogy of Fallot Repair
- Coarctation Repair
- CAVSD (Complete) – Complete Atrioventricular Septal Defect
- SUB AS Resection – Subaortic Resection
- Ross Procedure
- TGA – Transposition of Great Arteries
Heart Technology & Capabilities
- SSM Health Cardinal Glennon has a pediatric hybrid cardiac catheterization suite, enabling our cardiologists to conduct diagnostic tests, interventional procedures, and open-heart surgeries, all in one suite.
- Our team has pioneered the use of rotational angiography to generate pediatric heart models with high-definition resolution. We are also at the forefront of 3D printing and heart modeling for use in complex congenital heart surgeries, interventional cardiology procedures and electrophysiology procedures to diagnose or treat abnormal heartbeats.
- We were the first in Missouri to implant an entirely subcutaneous implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) system in a child, a less invasive device that protects patients against cardiac arrest.
- Our team routinely performs catheter ablation procedures without the use of fluoroscopy (X-ray beam), which means no radiation exposure to children.
Leaders in Heart Surgery
- Heart implants: Our specialists are skilled at implanting ventricular-assist devices (VADs), including the Berlin Heart EXCOR VAD, the first pediatric VAD approved by the FDA in 2011 for infants and children with severe heart failure.
- Heart transplants: Our surgeons have completed more than 60 heart transplants since the start of the heart transplant program. We are also a member of the Pediatric Heart Transplant Study Foundation, an organization dedicated to advancing treatment of children before and after heart transplantation.
Comprehensive Treatment of Congenital Heart Defects
The Dorothy and Larry Dallas Heart Center offers comprehensive heart care for infants and children with congenital heart defects and accounts for thousands of visits and procedures annually. In late 2016, the center was expanded and renovated in order to accommodate the growing demand for our pediatric cardiology program. The technology of our cardiac MRI enables physicians to create 3D images of the heart and measure how well the heart is pumping.