Breast Cancer: Symptoms & Types
Prevention, early detected and targeted treatment play a major role in the fight against breast cancer. Knowing the signs and symptoms and taking appropriate action gives you a better chance of preventing or catching it before it progresses.
SSM Health treats the full spectrum of breast cancers, from the most common types of carcinomas to less common types of invasive breast carcinoma. There are two types of breast cancer: invasive and non-invasive. Non-invasive breast cancer involves cancer cells contained in the breast, while its invasive counterpart is comprised of cells that break away from a primary mass and travel through the blood or lymph system to other parts of the body — called metastasis. Tumor size can be a key factor in determining the odds of metastasis.
Customized treatment for breast cancer is essential. Each of our patients are different and we treat your health needs as such. Symptoms of breast cancer may include:
- New lumps
- Thickening in breast tissue or under the arms
- Bloody nipple discharge
- A sore on the nipple that doesn’t heal
- Irritations or puckerings in the skin, dimples, scales or new creases
- Swollen or red breasts
- Rashes similar to the skin of an orange
Types of Breast Cancer We Treat
At SSM Health, our experienced care teams routinely diagnose and treat a full spectrum of breast cancers including:
- Invasive ductal carcinoma
- Invasive lobular carcinoma
- Mixed Ductal/lobular carcinoma
- Mucinous (colloid) carcinoma
- Tubular carcinoma
- Medullary carcinoma
- Papillary carcinoma
- Metaplastic carcinoma
- Adenoid cystic carcinoma
- Inflammatory breast cancer
- Paget’s disease of the nipple/breast
- Tumors of other types arising in the breast, like lymphomas, sarcomas, phyllodes tumors
- Ductal carcinoma in-situ (DCIS) (noninvasive breast cancer)
- Lobular carcinoma in-situ (LCIS) (risk factor for breast cancer)
- Cancers associated with hereditary risk
Developing a customized plan to treat your breast cancer is crucial. SSM Health’s cancer specialists design your treatment plan based on the specifics of your cancer and overall health. Our multi-disciplinary care team is with you every step of your treatment to ensure you receive the highest quality of care.
Knowing you as a patient, and understanding your condition is a critical part to treating your breast cancer. We’ll take the time to find all of the answers and provide you with the knowledge you need to move forward. Find the SSM Health location nearest to you, and schedule an appointment with us.