Pediatric Telemedicine Services
Telemedicine is the process of using electronic communication between health care providers at different locations to exchange medical information that improves a patient’s health status.
Throughout Missouri and Illinois, SLUCare Physician Group pediatricians at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital use various forms of telemedicine to assist partnering hospitals and physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of pediatric patients.
The Access Center at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon is a one-call number that provides immediate connection to expert care for urgent and emergent pediatric services. The Access Center line is staffed 24/7 by pediatric transport nurses and the line can be used to consult with a specialist or the surgeon on-call, to directly admit or emergently transfer a patient, and to initiate a transport using SSM Health Cardinal Glennon’s Neonatal and Pediatric Transport Team.
Building upon the Access Center, SSM Health Cardinal Glennon is partnering with hospitals using ScImage. ScImage’s PicomCloud allows seamless transmission of DICOM images (echo, CT, MRI, X-ray, ultrasound) between partnering facilities and SSM Health.
TeleED and TeleNICU
The TeleNICU and TeleED programs at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon are consultative telemedicine services that bring the expertise of our SLUCare Physician Group neonatologists and pediatric emergency physicians directly to partnering hospitals. By using enhanced video and audio technology, pediatric patients are able to receive immediate, real-time, remote consultation and evaluations without a transfer to SSM Health Cardinal Glennnon Children's Hospital.
Maternal Fetal Medicine
The Maternal Fetal Medicine telemedicine program at SSM Health connects SLUCare MFM specialists with partnering hospitals to provide high level ultrasound services. The patient can have her scan in her local hospital under the supervision of an MFM specialist without having to travel to SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital for care.
Benefit of Telemedicine for Patients and Their Families
While patients may have to travel to SSM Health Cardinal Glennon for additional care, initial diagnosis and treatment can be provided to a patient in their community, close to home. In some cases, telemedicine will prevent a family from having to travel to St. Louis for a pediatric consultation.
Benefits of Telemedicine to Providers and Partnering Hospitals
Partnering hospitals, physicians and the communities they serve have the ability to collaborate with SLUCare pediatric physicians 24/7. For clinical providers, this means having the opportunity to discuss cases, prevent unnecessary transfers, or in an acute situation, receive immediate care from a pediatrician. For hospitals, this means having the opportunity to co-brand SSM Health Cardinal Glennon’s pediatric expertise within your hospital.
Partnering Telemedicine Locations*
- Anderson Hospital - Maryville, IL
- Blessing Hospital - Quincy, IL
- Hannibal Regional Hospital - Hannibal, MO
- Heartland Regional Medical Center - Marion, IL
- HSHS St. Elizabeth's Hospital - Belleville, IL
- HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital – Breese, IL
- HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital – Highland, IL
- Illini Community Hospital - Pittsfield, IL
- Iron County Medical Center - Pilot Knob, MO
- Jersey Community Hospital - Jerseyville, IL
- Madison County Medical Center - Fredericktown, MO
- Perry County Memorial Hospital - Perryville, IL
- Phelps County Regional Medical Center - Rolla, MO
- Pike County Memorial Hospital - Louisiana, MO
- Saint Francis Medical Center - Cape Girardeau, MO
- Salem Memorial District Hospital - Salem, MO
- Southeast Hospital - Cape Girardeau, MO
- Sparta Community Hospital - Sparta, IL
- SSM Health DePaul Hospital - St. Louis, MO
- SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital - Mt. Vernon, IL
- SSM Health Medical Group - Jefferson City, MO
- SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Centralia, IL
- SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City, MO
- St. Anthony’s Medical Center – St. Louis, MO
- Ste. Genevieve County Memorial Hospital - Ste. Genevieve, MO
- Washington County Hospital - Potosi, MO
*As of January 2018
For more information, contact us at 314-577-6800 ext. 2198.