Preparing for your baby and the changes he or she will bring is a big part of your pregnancy. There are times of excitement and times of overwhelming emotion. The Family Birthplace at SSM Health St. Joseph Hospital - Lake Saint Louis' labor and delivery unit is the leading provider of obstetrics and high risk obstetrical care in St. Charles County. In 2019, The Family Birthplace received the Healthgrades' Patient Safety Excellence Award and has a four-star rating with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
We've been serving the community since 1986, and now deliver more than 1,200 babies each year. With sophisticated on-site resources like our Maternal-Fetal Medicine Department and Level II Nursery, even women with high-risk pregnancies can rest assured that they will receive comprehensive prenatal, delivery and nursery care for their newborns all in one convenient location.
SSM Health supports many options for childbirth. We always keep your wishes and plans in mind first and will always work with your personal and family goals should the situation remain safe to do so. The following are available at SSM Health St. Joseph Hospital – Lake Saint Louis to help us achieve this goal:
- An anesthesiologist and in-house obstetrician is on-site at all times.
- For non-medicated births, or "natural" births, we offer techniques to make you as comfortable as possible through the birth. Doulas are always welcome at SSM Health St. Joseph Hospital - Lake Saint Louis!
- Dedicated surgical suite on the same floor if a Cesarean section (C-section) is necessary
- For mothers with a previous C-section, we can perform Vaginal Births After Cesarean section (VBACs) if you and your doctor determine it is appropriate and safe.
- Continuous fetal monitoring
- Regular and advanced Level II ultrasound
- External cephalic version (a procedure to try and turn the baby if it’s in breech or ‘feet first’ position)
- Pediatricians from SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital are available 24/7 to assist your obstetrician
For high risk pregnancies:
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialists on-site from Saint Louis University are available 24/7 to care for mothers with high-risk pregnancies.
- Level II Newborn Nursery supported by neonatologists from Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital for babies born at 32 weeks gestation or greater.
Birthing Suite Amenities
The Family Birthplace at St. Joseph Hospital - Lake Saint Louis offers a welcome alternative to traditional hospital delivery. In our fresh, comfortable setting, we provide personal one-on-one attention for Mother and Baby that includes care and instruction from highly trained nurses.
Typically, all phases of childbirth — labor, delivery, recovery, and postpartum — take place in the same specially designed private suite. A quiet, private room offers a peaceful environment, which allows you to bond with your newest family member, and get plenty of rest.
After delivery, your baby is bathed at your bedside and will remain in your room for the duration of your stay. This allows important mother-baby bonding as you get to know each other. If you need a rest, your baby can be looked after in the nursery.
Our mother-baby suites are carefully designed to promote safety and a faster recovery. Your medication is bar-coded and stored in your suite, which is more efficient and safer. An in-room computer securely stores medical records for real-time physician and care team updates.
Family and friends are invited to visit any time of day, and there are no age restrictions for visiting children. However, only healthy children should visit newborns. Family members are invited to relax in the “family zone” of your suite — even spend the night on a comfortable sleeper sofa. To protect the health and safety of mother and baby, visitors may be limited if a medical concern arises.
For your family and friends that are out of town or otherwise unable to visit, they can catch a sneak peek of your little one through our secure WebNursery®.
To best prepare you and your family for the arrival a new little happy, we recommend that you participate in at least some of the childbirth, parenting or infant care classes we offer. Support groups from breastfeeding to bereavement are also available. Some of these classes include:
- Diabetes education in pregnancy
- Genetic Counseling
- “Fast track” (4-week) Lamaze Childbirth preparation classes
- Our lactation consultant can discuss breastfeeding with you and answer questions. She will also visit you in the hospital after you’ve had your baby to assist you
Take the next step to prepare for your little one’s arrival and register for a class today.
Guided tours of the Family Birthplace at St. Joseph Hospital - Lake Saint Louis are available and are a great opportunity to learn more about what we offer as well as a great opportunity to ask any questions about the labor and delivery process.
To register for a tour, please call toll-free 866-SSM-DOCS (866-776-3627) or register online.
Whether you're expecting, or trying to conceive, trust the team at SSM Health St. Joseph Hospital – Lake Saint Louis. We’ll partner with you on this exciting new chapter in your life. Find the nearest OB/GYN today and get started.
OB/GYN Office Locations
Many SSM Health Medical Group offices provide other medical services in addition to OB/GYN services. Make sure to choose an OB/GYN when scheduling your prenatal care appointment at a location below.