SSM Health occupational therapists work individually with each patient to address their physical, developmental, social, or emotional problems with the goals of achieving or regaining a higher level of function and independent living. We offer creative solutions and adaptive living when skill and strength cannot be developed or improved.
Common conditions that may require occupational therapy include:
- Limitations following a stroke or heart attack
- Orthopedic problems
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Arthritis, tendonitis, multiple sclerosis, or other serious chronic conditions
- Neurological conditions of the hand and upper extremity
- Birth injuries, learning problems, or developmental disabilities
- Behavioral or mental health problems including Alzheimer's, ADD/ADHD, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress
- Vision or cognitive problems, spinal cord injuries, or amputations that impair independent living
- Problems with drug and alcohol abuse
What to Expect From Occupational Therapy
When you come to SSM Health for therapy services, you can expect:
- A comprehensive evaluation within 1-2 weeks of referral unless otherwise designated
- An individualized program based on physician recommendations and specific diagnoses with one-to-one treatment session
- A professional staff of licensed therapists who conduct treatment, emphasizing continuity of care
- Written progress reports sent to referring physicians in a timely manner
- Open communication among therapists, physicians and other healthcare professionals
A physician referral is required for occupational therapy services. If you don't have a primary care provider, please use our provider finder to locate a provider that meets your needs. Occupational therapists will work with referring physicians and other therapy specialists to provide individualized evaluations and therapy plans for each patient.
When you’re recovering from an illness or injury, you can count on our team of occupational therapists and rehabilitation specialists to support you every step of the way. Contact us today to learn more or schedule an appointment.