Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass Procedure
At SSM Health Weight Management Services, we perform the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass. Patients who undergo this surgery can expect to lose 50-60% of their excess weight in the first two years following the procedure.
If you are thinking about weight-loss surgery, consider registering for an SSM Health Weight Management Services informational seminar. This free seminar highlights the full range weight loss services we offer to help you reach your weight loss goals.
What Happens During a Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Procedure?
During this 60 to 90 minute procedure, our surgeon sections off a portion of the stomach and reroute part of the small intestine. This new configuration allows food to be redirected, bypassing most of the stomach and the first section of the small intestine. As a result, less food is needed to feel full and patients can significantly reduce the amount of food they consume. In addition, significantly fewer calories are absorbed because part of the intestine is bypassed. Since gastric bypass surgery is performed laparoscopically, patients typically experience a shorter hospital stay, decreased recovery time and a lower risk for wound-related side effects compared to traditional “open” gastric bypass surgery.
Key Benefits of Gastric Bypass Surgery
Obese patients who undergo gastric bypass surgery experience additional benefits as a result of weight loss, including:
- Lower blood pressure: Studies indicate that 70% of surgery recipients are able to stop taking medications for high blood pressure and will have normal blood pressure within two to three months after surgery.
- Reduced cholesterol: More than 80% of patients develop normal cholesterol levels within two to three months following surgery.
- Type 2 diabetes: More than 90% of patients with type 2 diabetes experience excellent post-surgery results. This includes normal blood sugar levels, normal Hemoglobin A1C values and freedom from all medications, including insulin injections.
- Decreased asthma symptoms: Patients who have been challenged by asthma often find that after surgery they have fewer attacks, and sometimes none at all.
- Reduced sleep apnea: Many patients report sleep apnea symptoms were gone or greatly diminished within a year of having surgery.
While gastric bypass can help you lose weight, it isn’t the right choice for everyone. Download our patient packet to learn more about all of the surgical options SSM Health Weight Management Services offers.
You can be assured that the team at SSM Health Weight Management Services will approach your care with the expertise and compassion you deserve. Make an appointment today, and we will help you to create a treatment plan that fits your goals, so you can get started - and succeed - on your weight loss journey.