Leukemia: Symptoms & Treatment
The cancer specialists at SSM Health provide personalized, compassionate care to all of our leukemia patients. Our physicians have the necessary expertise to care for patients with any form of leukemia, including:
- Acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL): cancer of the lymphocytes, a white blood cell in the immune system
- Acute myeloid leukemia (AML): cancer that affects the white blood cells, usually found in the blood and bone marrow
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL): cancer of the lymphocytes
- Chronic myeloid leukemia (CML): cancer of the blood-producing cells of the bone marrow
Signs & Symptoms of Leukemia
Acute leukemia typically causes some of the more severe symptoms and may require extensive treatment. Chronic leukemia rarely causes symptoms, making it more difficult to detect.
Signs and symptoms of leukemia may include:
- Night sweats and fever
- Bleeding or bruising easily
- Joint or bone pain
- Painful or swollen stomach from an enlarged spleen
- Swollen lymph nodes in the armpit, neck or groin
- Frequent infections
- Weakness and fatigue
- Unexplained weight loss
- Loss of appetite
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, contact your primary care physician to discuss your concerns and possible next steps.
There are a number of treatment options available to those diagnosed with leukemia. Together, you and your doctor will determine the right approach. Your leukemia treatment may include:
SSM Health Cancer Care is committed to your overall health and well-being, from initial diagnosis to recovery and beyond. Contact an SSM Health Cancer Care specialist today and begin your journey to wellness.