A Family-Centered Approach to Caring for Children with Complex Medical Needs
The Complex Medical Care Program at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital is dedicated to caring for children with chronic medical needs and providing peace of mind for families. Our unique, first-in-the-region program ensures that all of your child's needs are met in a comprehensive, cooperative way.
Our highly-trained team consists of SLUCare Physician Group pediatricians, nurses, social workers, and administrative aids. Through a team-based approach, we are able to provide complete care and coordination with multiple specialists throughout your child’s medical journey.
About Our Program
Children with medical complexities require daily, non-stop medical care and monitoring. We help ease the process by collaborating with all health care providers to help ensure continuity of care.
Your family is at the center of everything we do. Our services include:
- Individualized care plans that we make accessible in different health care environments
- Coordination to ease your child’s transition between hospital, home, and community outpatient facilities
- Safe transportation between facilities
- Education to help you optimally deliver your child’s care once they get home
- Ongoing communication with family, primary care providers, and specialists
The Children We Serve
We typically care for children 10-years-old or younger, who have frequent or extended hospital stays and are not receiving coordinated care through another service. Our patients have a range of complex care needs, including:
- Two or more diagnoses that require both acute and chronic care needs
- Assistance in co-managing developmental delay
- Multiple specialists (four or more)
- Home nursing or therapy considerations
- The need for medical equipment (G-Tube, ventilator, and/or tracheostomy tubes)
Benefits of Our Program
Through our services, we are able to help children and their families reduce:
- Average length of hospital stays
- Time needed in the critical care environment
- Number of emergency room visits
How We Support Your Family
We understand the emotional and psychological strain of caring for a child with medical complexities. Our team is dedicated to strengthening the voice of your child and family throughout the process. We do this by respecting every child and nurturing all the positive factors that affect their health.
You will benefit from this program if you are:
- A family caregiver dealing with the stress of your child's numerous medical, psycho-social and developmental needs
- A health care provider collaborating to personalize and coordinate a child’s care
- A home health resource provider in need of a centralized, multidisciplinary team focused on medical complexity
Let us partner with you to ensure your child gets the best care possible. To schedule an appointment with our team, contact us at 314-268-6492.