The Dan Dierdorf Emergency and Trauma Center at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital is a Level I Pediatric Trauma Center, designated by both Missouri and Illinois. This means we can handle any type of emergency 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and provide the best possible care during every moment of a traumatic situation. We work closely with many departments in the medical center, as well as with paramedics and first responders to ensure complete and safe care.
No matter the emergency, you can count on us to offer:
- Full-time, 24/7 availability of trauma surgeons, medical specialists and subspecialists
- An operating room dedicated to trauma cases, and specialized facilities, including emergency services
- Full-time staffing of neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons, and specially trained trauma nurses
- Anesthesia services, intensive care units (ICUs), rehabilitation services, CT scans and other imaging facilities available for trauma patients at all times
- Fully organized trauma center with a trauma director, trauma registry, coordinator, and outreach programs
Level I Pediatric Trauma Center
When your child is very sick or injured, having an experienced, multi-disciplinary trauma team makes a difference. Seconds can feel like hours and all you want to know is that your child is receiving the best care possible.
As a Level I Trauma Center, we see over 60,000 children annually, making us the highest volume pediatric ED in the region. Nearly 500 of these visits require Trauma Activations in which a medical third party, or ambulance alerts us that a trauma patient is on the way, allowing us to prepare and respond quicker.
Our multi-disciplinary trauma team is ready to begin life-saving care as soon as we receive the call. This “stat” team includes:
- Emergency medicine physicians
- Pediatric surgeons
- Emergency and critical care pediatric nurses
- A pediatric respiratory therapist
- Pediatric pharmacist
- Radiology and laboratory technicians
- Pastoral care representatives
Working together, our team responds to all types of emergencies, ranging from sprains and asthma attacks to severe trauma injuries that may occur during car accidents.
Pediatric Emergency Experts
Treating a child requires different expertise than when treating an adult. We provide the necessary expertise to care for children in a family-focused environment, helping you stress less.
- SSM Health Cardinal Glennon recruits and trains emergency medicine specialists through Saint Louis University School of Medicine. Many have an average of 20 years of experience in pediatric emergency care.
- All of our ER physicians and nurses are certified in Pediatric Advanced Cardiac and Trauma Support (PACTS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS). This means we are trained at the highest level in the advanced emergency care of children, and offer the latest and most comprehensive medical techniques.
- You will save time with our easy “ER Quick” registration process and get immediate support from our pediatric ER doctors, nurses, and Child Life team , dedicated to providing child-friendly care.
- Our state-of-the-art trauma rooms are fully stocked with the latest supplies and equipment. They are large and roomy to accommodate family members at the bedside to comfort their child.
Neonatal & Pediatric Transport Team
With the help of our Neonatal and Pediatric Transport Team, we are able to transport hundreds of critically-ill and injured children to our facilities by ambulance, helicopter, or fixed-wing aircraft.
The transport team is made up of highly skilled professionals that provide essential medical care while in transit. Our team includes registered nurses, paramedics and respiratory therapists with advanced training in the stabilization, treatment and transport of children.
The team is available 24 hours a day, helping save time when time matters most.
You can never plan for an emergency, but when one arises, rest assured that when you bring your child to the ER at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon they’ll be in the safest hands possible.