Delivering more than 3,000 babies per year, we have an experienced staff of SLUCare Physicians able to handle the most critical pregnancies and births. The Family Birthplace at SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital - St. Louis is the regional hub for maternal services and high-risk obstetrics and is fully equipped with a Level III Neonatal ICU, a Perinatal Center and a satellite location for the St. Louis Fetal Care Institute.
The Family Birthplace at St. Mary’s Hospital - St. Louis is also home to the Saint Louis University School of Medicine’s Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women’s Health residency program and supported by leading neonatalogists from SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital.
2020 Best Maternity Hospital
SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital is proud to be named a 2020 Best Maternity Hospital by Newsweek – and the only hospital in the St. Louis region to receive this honor!
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - St. Louis, in partnership with SLUCare physicians, is recognized for its standards for excellence in maternity care, including achieving low rates of C-section, episiotomy and early elective deliveries, and following crucial protocols to protect mothers and babies.
The Power of a Mother's Love
See the moment when the bond between a mother and her newborn son saves both their lives, thanks to a team of doctors and nurses.
Safety and comfort are the most important things to consider when having a baby. SSM Health's maternity care experts supports many childbirth options and will always keep your wishes and plans in mind first. We'll work with your personal and family goals so long as the situation remains safe to do so. The following are available at St. Mary's Hospital - St. Louis to help us achieve this goal:
- An anesthesiologist dedicated to obstetrics is on-site at all times
- For non-medicated births, we offer many low intervention techniques to make you as comfortable as possible throughout the birth experience. Doulas are always welcome at St. Mary's Hospital - St. Louis!
- Dedicated surgical suites on the same floor if a Cesarean section (C-section) or EXIT procedure is necessary
- For mothers with a previous C-section, we can perform Vaginal Births After Cesarean section (VBACs) if you and your doctor determine it is appropriate and safe.
- Continuous fetal monitoring
- Regular and advanced Level II ultrasound
- External cephalic version (a procedure to try and turn the baby if it’s in breech or "feet first" position)
For high-risk pregnancies:
- Maternal & Fetal Care Center that features maternal-fetal medicine SLUCare Physician Group specialists from Saint Louis University
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) supported by neonatologists from SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital
- 17-bed Antepartum (before birth) Unit
- Maternal Transport Services
- Pediatricians and neonatologists from SSM Health Cardinal Glennon available 24/7 to assist your obstetrician
- Satellite location for the St. Louis Fetal Care Institute
Birthing Suite Amenities
The Family Birthplace at St. Mary’s Hospital offers a welcome alternative to traditional hospital delivery. In our fresh, comfortable setting, we provide personal, one-on-one attention for Mother and Baby, which includes care and instruction from highly trained nurses.
We have spacious suites where you will be for labor, delivery and recovery. These suites can easily accommodate a recliner for a special visitor. They were also carefully designed to promote safety and to be able to accommodate all the high-tech equipment necessary to safely deliver your baby.
After your baby is born, you will continue care in a spa-like postpartum suite on our mother-baby unit. Each suite has a comfortable sleeper sofa for your spouse or loved one to spend the night as well as a flat screen TV, and private bathroom and shower.
St. Mary’s Hospital - St. Louis is home to the Maternal & Fetal Care Center and is the main center for SSM Health's high-risk pregnancy services.
We also offer room service dining for our patients. You may order meals or snacks anytime between 6:30 am and 6:30 pm daily.
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - St. Louis is home to a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) where our smallest patients get state-of-the-art care, when needed. To ensure your newborn receives the highest level of care, our newly renovated NICU features:
- A team of neonatologists, NICU nurses, neonatal nurse practitioners and respiratory therapists who are fully prepared to provide advanced, intensive care and support to newborns 24/7.
- Single-family rooms offer added privacy and feature soothing, nature-themed designs.
- Neonatal nurses who specialize in caring for women with high-risk pregnancies.
- Lactation specialists available seven days a week for breastfeeding support to help babies get off to a healthy start.
- NicView™ cameras allow mothers and families the ability to access a 24-hour video stream of their baby by using their smartphone or tablet.
Our NICU provides moms and babies with everything they need to have a happy, healthy and successful birthing process.
Take a look inside the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital!
Childbirth Education Classes
To best prepare you and your family for the arrival a new little happy, we recommend that you participate in at least some of the childbirth, parenting or infant care classes we offer. Support groups from breastfeeding to bereavement are also available.
- Diabetes education in pregnancy
- Genetic Counseling
- “Fast track” (4-week) Lamaze Childbirth preparation classes
- Our lactation consultant can discuss breastfeeding with you and answer questions. She will also visit you in the hospital after you’ve had your baby to assist you.
Take the next step to prepare for your little one’s arrival and register for a class today.
This specialized prenatal care program, provided at SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital, includes ten group visits and as many private visits you need during your pregnancy and is completely free as part of your prenatal care.
During group visits you will meet with a SLUCare certified nurse midwife and eight to ten other women who are all due around the same time. Each Centering visit includes:
- a private check-up with your nurse midwife
- group conversation about self-care, pregnancy, childbirth, infant care and more
- friendship and support with other moms
Centering helps moms-to-be: prepare for birth, get ready to care for their baby, participate actively in their healthcare, have more time with their chosen provider and focus on the benefits of self-care which is good for the baby and family.
For more information about CenteringPregnancy® call 314-768-8797.
A Designated Baby-Friendly Hospital
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - St. Louis has been recognized with the prestigious international recognition as a designated Baby-Friendly Hospital, from Baby-Friendly USA, Inc.
Baby-Friendly USA, Inc. is the U.S. authority for the implementation of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative, a global program sponsored by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The initiative encourages and recognizes hospitals and birthing centers that offer an optimal level of care for breastfeeding mothers and their babies. Based on the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding, this prestigious international award recognizes birth facilities that offer breastfeeding mothers the information, confidence, and skills needed to successfully initiate and continue breastfeeding their babies.
To be recognized as a designated Baby-Friendly Hospital, the facility must undergo a rigorous on-site survey. The results are then reviewed at UNICEF Headquarters to determine if the facility meets the global Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative standards. Currently there are only 604 active Baby-Friendly Hospitals and birth centers in the United States.
In-person guided tours of the Family Birthplace at St. Mary’s Hospital are unavailable at this time, but we are offering virtual tours of the Family Birthplace, so expectant mothers and their support person(s) can become familiar with SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital.
Whether you’re expecting, or trying to conceive, trust the team at SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – Saint Louis. We’ll partner with you on this exciting new chapter in your life. Find the nearest OB/GYN today and get started.