To refer a patient for a kidney, liver or pancreas transplant evaluation, or to speak with a member of our staff, call 314-577-8867. To expedite the referral process, download and complete the kidney and pancreas or liver transplant referral packet. Once complete, fax the packet to 314-268-5132. All patients referred for a kidney or liver transplant evaluation will be reviewed by our transplant team.
The SSM Health Transplant Center at SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital provides comprehensive kidney, kidney-pancreas, liver, and liver-kidney transplant services. Our highly-skilled, multidisciplinary team practices in a newly-renovated, state-of-the-art clinic, providing seamless coordination of care through all phases of the transplant experience.
The abdominal transplant team:
- Provides integrated clinical care through the full continuum of progressive organ failure and transplantation
- Fosters fundamental scientific discovery and innovative translational research in transplantation
- Develops future physician leaders in transplantation, and builds referral base capabilities to manage patient populations
- Provides education to our care partners in the community, facilitating excellent patient outcomes
- Provides public policy leadership related to organ donation, progressive organ failure and organ allocation
The Center for Abdominal Transplantation at SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital offers comprehensive services for kidney transplantation. Building on extensive experience and a long history of nationally-recognized care in transplant nephrology, we are prepared to manage all aspects of the transplant process. We are committed to promoting a patient-centered, multidisciplinary approach when caring for patients with end-stage organ failure.
The strength of our team includes extensive experience in:
- Kidney and kidney/pancreas transplantation
- Laparoscopic nephrectomy for living kidney donors
- Medical and surgical treatment of pancreatic disorders
- Interventional nephrology
- Vascular access for hemodialysis
Led by Bruce R. Bacon, MD, Transplant Center Director, the Liver Center’s highly-skilled physician team is made up of faculty at Saint Louis University.
Providing national leadership in the field of hepatology, the Liver Center is staffed by some of the highest-profile doctors and research scientists in the United States. In fact, many of these physicians are listed in the Best Doctors Inc. database, an independent medical reference service.
The Liver Center has one of the world’s largest hepatitis C practices in the world, treating more than 800 patients annually. The Center’s patient care services have been ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the top hospitals in treatment of digestive diseases, including liver disease.
About the Liver Center
- Largest liver center in St. Louis and in Missouri in terms of research funding, patient visits, clinical trials and hepatologists
- More than 1,300 patient visits per month for care of liver disease patients by Saint Louis University Liver Center clinicians
- One of the largest treatment centers for liver disease in the US
- More than 800 completed liver transplants since July 1988
Liver Center Specialties
- Liver transplantation
- Liver resections
- Chemoembolization and surgical resection
- Hepatobiliary system disease
- Metabolic liver disorders
- Fulminant hepatic failure
- Percutaneous and intraoperative radiofrequency ablation (RFA) treatment
- Placement of Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS) devices
- Chronic liver disease